0 of 8
Might Drew McIntyre do what no different Famous person had performed for 2 years and defeat Roman Reigns in the primary occasion of WWE Conflict on the Fort?
It was the query on the minds of followers Saturday on the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, house to the primary pay-per-view to be staged in the UK for 30 years.
Would The Scottish Warrior feed off the help of a house crowd and put an finish to The Tribal Chief’s dominance because the undisputed WWE common champion or would Reigns conquer one other rival on his option to a legacy practically unmatched in firm lore?
Discover out now with this recap of the September 3 occasion.
2 of 8
WWE kicked off the present with a six-man tag crew match pitting The Avenue Earnings and Madcap Moss in opposition to Principle and Alpha Academy.
A high-energy opener, it highlighted all six rivals adequately earlier than Montez Ford exploded late and end Chad Gable off together with his awe-inspiring frog splash.
This was an ideal style of issues to return. The group was molten-hot for everybody concerned, regardless of no prior storyline to talk of. Moss, specifically, appeared nice and continues to impress anytime he will get an opportunity to showcase himself contained in the squared circle.
It was largely meaningless, but it surely did pop the group and knowledgeable the viewers that the setting for this present was in contrast to any in current reminiscence.
Moss and The Avenue Earnings defeated Alpha Academy and Principle
- Gable executed a deadlift German suplex to Angelo Dawkins that displayed his uncooked energy.
- Moss delivered a fallaway slam to Otis that appeared super-dangerous however drew an enormous pop.
- Ford delivered a double blockbuster off his associate’s shoulders to an enormous pop.
3 of 8
Uncooked ladies’s champion Bianca Belair, Asuka and Alexa Bliss kicked off the primary present after they squared off with Bayley, Dakota Kai and Iyo Sky in a six-woman tag crew match.
The newly dubbed “Injury Management” earned a hard-fought victory in one other action-packed contest. The babyfaces rolled early earlier than Bayley and Co. remoted Asuka and minimize her off from the remainder of her crew.
Belair predictably obtained the new tag and exploded into the match late, however very good teamwork from the heels gave option to Sky delivering her trademark moonsault and Bayley stacking up The EST of WWE for the win.
.<a href=”https://twitter.com/itsBayleyWWE?ref_src=twsrcpercent5Etfw”>@itsBayleyWWE</a> has pinned <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/WWERaw?src=hash&ref_src=twsrcpercent5Etfw”>#WWERaw</a> Girls’s Champion <a href=”https://twitter.com/BiancaBelairWWE?ref_src=twsrcpercent5Etfw”>@BiancaBelairWWE</a> at <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/WWECastle?src=hash&ref_src=twsrcpercent5Etfw”>#WWECastle</a>!!! <a href=”https://t.co/PXtSQ183Fl”>pic.twitter.com/PXtSQ183Fl</a>
The outcome was not surprising as Triple H and WWE sought to continue building momentum for the top heel act in the Raw women’s division. Bayley pinning Belair sets her up for a title opportunity, something that was also predictable given the creative leading into the show.
In this case, predictable is far from bad as The Role Model is a genuine star and the most logical option to challenge for the gold. Considering she and Belair never had a suitable conclusion to their rivalry a year ago, their rivalry is long overdue.
This was a good match that got considerable time to unfold, and all six competitors had a chance to shine.
This was the right call for an opener given the exposure the talent involved have received over the last two months on the red brand and set the bar high for the rest of the PPV.
Damage Control defeated Bliss, Asuka and Belair
- The heels entered the arena to new theme music and the “Damage Control” name.
- Bayley repeatedly heeled it up, attempting to stop the audience from singing to her.
- Michael Cole brought up Iyo Sky’s previous partnership with Asuka during their time in Japan, a big moment for those who remember Vince McMahon refusing to allow the commentary team to recognize wrestling history and any promotion outside of his own.
4 of 8
Fans expecting a hard-hitting, physical match between intercontinental champion Gunther and top contender Sheamus got everything they wanted in the next match while still being surprised at the intensity of the bout.
Champion and challenger beat the life out of each other for nearly 20 minutes, testing each other’s endurance, durability and toughness. Gunther reddened the chest of his opponent and dominated the action throughout the first half of the bout.
Sheamus seized an opening and punished the champion with an onslaught of forearms to the chest.
Hard strikes, heavy-hitting moves and a couple of near-falls followed before the Irishman attempted a Brogue Kick. His back gave out, though, and Gunther capitalized by delivering a powerbomb and finishing The Celtic Warrior off with a lariat for the successful title defense.
.<a href=”https://twitter.com/Gunther_AUT?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@Gunther_AUT</a> retains the <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/ICTitle?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#ICTitle</a> at <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/WWECastle?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#WWECastle</a> in an absolutely incredible encounter! <a href=”https://t.co/tQ5I0zFJ84″>pic.twitter.com/tQ5I0zFJ84</a>
There are some loaded pro wrestling cards this weekend, but we will be hard-pressed to find a match as good as this.
While others may be more dazzling or theatrical, this was a hard-hitting battle that felt more real than predetermined, with the combatants throwing whatever they had at each other in the name of victory.
Gunther won, but the incredible show of respect shown to Sheamus by the fans in Cardiff was reflective of a guy whose contributions as an in-ring performer over 13 years with WWE are finally starting to be appreciated by the audience.
Gunther defeated Sheamus
- A video package recalled the classic Intercontinental Championship match between Bret Hart and The British Bulldog from SummerSlam 1992 before Samantha Irvin introduced the family of Davey Boy Smith and The Hitman himself.
- Ludwig Kaiser introduced Giovanni Vinci, reforming Imperium in a noteworthy occurrence before the bell rang.
- Kaiser and Vinci brawled with Butch and Ridge Holland, while Sheamus and Gunther stared each other down in the pre-match segment.
- Gunther kicked Sheamus square in the face, and a slow-mo replay showed the side of The Celtic Warrior’s face collapsing under the force of his boot.
- Sheamus’ face was painted with welts, scratches and bruises, the result of The Ring General’s unforgiving strikes.
- The Irishman repaid Gunther for a barrage of chops by forearming the life out of the champion’s chest.
- Sheamus broke out The Celtic Cross for the first time in what felt like ages, a call back to his early days in WWE.
5 of 8
Liv Morgan sought to make it two-in-a-row against the Four Horsewomen of MMA when she defended the SmackDown Women’s Championship against Shayna Baszler.
Morgan oddly worked submissions early, looking to defeat her opponent first with her own Karifuda Clutch and then an armbar. Baszler recovered from the onslaught and controlled the match by working her opponent’s previously injured arm.
Morgan, like a good underdog babyface, proved resilient and fought her way back into the contest. Despite a late attempt at a clutch by Baszler, she stunned her with the Codebreaker and finished the challenger with Oblivion for a successful title defense.
.<a href=”https://twitter.com/YaOnlyLivvOnce?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@YaOnlyLivvOnce</a> walks out of <a href=”https://twitter.com/principalitysta?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@principalitysta</a> with the <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/SmackDown?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#SmackDown</a> <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/WomensTitle?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#WomensTitle</a>!<a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/AndStill?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#AndStill</a> <a href=”https://t.co/QANDSTZs8o”>pic.twitter.com/QANDSTZs8o</a>
There will be some who criticize the idea of Baszler losing again but given the fact that the seeds were planted by Rousey that her friend used to be a killer but had gotten soft, it plays into that narrative.
Here was a woman who had victory in her hand if she had just channeled that killer instinct. Instead, she allowed Morgan to hang around and it cost her.
As long as that is the direction the story is headed, the booking worked. If not, Triple H and Co. will have their work cut out for them in terms of rebuilding Baszler.
The match was a good David vs. Goliath showdown that put Morgan over as double-tough and, hopefully, helps endear her to fans in a way that the booking at SummerSlam did not.
Morgan defeated Baszler to retain the title
- Morgan tried to apply the Karifuda Clutch on two occasions early, but Baszler easily escaped and reversed both times.
- The Queen of Spades targeted Morgan’s left arm like a shark smelling blood, looking to exploit a part of the champion previously injured by Rousey.
- Morgan grabbed an armbar late in the match, again trying to work submissions against a woman nicknamed The Submission Magician.
- Baszler twisted, contorted and bent Morgan’s injured arm in a way that was reminiscent of the old Queen of Spades fans grew to appreciate in NXT.
- Baszler countered a sunset flip powerbomb pin into the Karifuda Clutch in a smooth spot.
6 of 8
Edge and Rey Mysterio may have defeated The Judgment Day, but that victory proved secondary to the events that unfolded after the bell.
Despite the veterans overcoming interference from Rhea Ripley and pulling off the victory following a 619 and Spear to Finn Balor, it was the stunning betrayal and long-awaited heel turn by Rey’s son, Dominik, that stole the headlines.
A low blow to Edge and a sneak attack on his father drew a chorus of boos from the fans and elicited maniacal laughing from Balor and Priest, who believed they had turned him.
DOMINIK MYSTERIO, WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?!?!?<a href=”https://twitter.com/DomMysterio35?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@DomMysterio35</a> has betrayed <a href=”https://twitter.com/EdgeRatedR?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@EdgeRatedR</a> AND <a href=”https://twitter.com/reymysterio?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@reymysterio</a> at <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/WWECastle?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#WWECastle</a>!!! <a href=”https://t.co/5PS0cS3rxo”>pic.twitter.com/5PS0cS3rxo</a>
Dominik left on his own without pledging allegiance to The Judgment Day, but he was clearly the hottest heel in the entire segment. It was a booking decision most saw coming from a mile away but may have lost hope for given the way the bout concluded.
The second-generation competitor badly needed to break free from his father and turn heel, if only to establish his own identity. Just being Rey’s son grew stale quite a while ago. Now, he has the potential to become a star on his own while working with his father across the ring from him rather than by his side.
The contest was fine but, from a quality standpoint, it was no better or worse than something fans would see on Raw. Given the increase in quality on that show, that is by no means a bad thing, though.
Edge and Mysterio defeated The Judgment Day
- Edge entered the arena in a lucha mask, showing solidarity with his partner.
- The Hall of Famer broke out a 619 on Balor that Corey Graves best described as being “closer to a 519.”
- Edge speared Priest through the ropes and to the floor, drawing a huge pop.
- Ripley wiped Dominik out at ringside, but Rey wiped both her and his son out with a tope suidicida moments later.
7 of 8
Seth Rollins intensified his rivalry with Matt Riddle on Monday’s Raw, infuriating The Original Bro by bringing up his family situation.
Saturday, they wasted no time unloading on each other, with Riddle getting the best of The Visionary early before a tope suicida into the announce table and a powerbomb into the guardrail turned the tide in the heel’s favor.
As the match progressed, the combatants threw everything at each other, even diving into each other’s arsenals in an attempt to put the other away.
Rollins, a master manipulator, insulted Riddle’s family again. When the babyface lost his cool and grabbed a chair, The Visionary took advantage of the distraction and delivered a Stomp.
Another from the second rope earned him the win.
STOMP from the second rope and <a href=”https://twitter.com/WWERollins?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@WWERollins</a> is your winner at <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/WWECastle?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#WWECastle</a>! <a href=”https://t.co/ZhJNDMoU3W”>pic.twitter.com/ZhJNDMoU3W</a>
The chemistry between the combatants is off the charts. Their dislike for one another beyond the ring is well-documented, however in the case of placing in work between the ropes, they mesh extraordinarily nicely. The transitions, counters and reversals have been nice, and Riddle barely rolling his shoulder off the mat throughout near-falls was a pleasant contact.
Rollins successful was the precise name. His star burns brighter than Riddle’s, and he figures to play a giant function within the quick and long-term way forward for Uncooked as considered one of its faces.
As Triple H continues to unfold his inventive plans for the flagship present, he’ll depend on somebody like Rollins to reinforce sure applications.
Rollins defeated Riddle
- Rollins and Riddle recovered properly from an unsightly near-botch on a top-rope spot.
- The Authentic Bro countered his rival’s superplex right into a Falcon Arrow spot by delivering a picture-perfect Fisherman Buster.
- Riddle countered a rolling elbow into an exploder suplex after which added a Floating Bro to the ground.
- Riddle tried for an additional Floating Bro, however Rollins bought the knees up. The Bro recovered and caught The Visionary with a triangle choke.
- Rollins tried to make use of his opponent’s personal Bro Derek in opposition to him however Riddle narrowly kicked out at two.
- “You are a goddamn loser, you hear me?” Rollins antagonized his opponent with insults towards him, his ex-wife and his children, and he then added a draping DDT a la Randy Orton in addition.
8 of 8
Drew McIntyre elicited an infinite pop for his entrance into the Principality Stadium, which was preceded by a video bundle set to “Damaged Goals,” a music followers have anticipated since his return to WWE.
Reigns, the defending champion, entered the world on his personal. There was no Paul Heyman and no Jimmy and Jey Uso. Even Sami Zayn was nowhere to be seen as The Tribal Chief made the lengthy stroll to the ring, with out pyro because of the stadium setup.
The following contest was an awesome fundamental occasion and a respectable Match of the Yr candidate. Like Rollins and Riddle, Reigns and McIntyre have wild in-ring chemistry, developed from working home exhibits and TV darkish matches in opposition to one another for the higher a part of a 12 months.
They took the whole lot they’d labored via and developed over that point and executed it to perfection, with a red-hot Cardiff crowd in addition.
Reigns is a grasp of the near-fall and has timing that’s impeccable. He is aware of precisely when to throw his shoulder off the mat to maximise the drama, and the result’s usually a contest that has followers utterly invested. We noticed it a few occasions on Saturday, but it surely was the very good timing of his cousin that arrange the end.
Solo Sikoa debuted within the closing moments, pulling the referee out of the ring and stopping a three-count following one final Claymore from McIntyre. He hung The Scottish Warrior up on the ropes, organising a Spear by the champ that may convey concerning the conclusion of the competition.
ROMAN REIGNS RETAINS!<a href=”https://twitter.com/WWERomanReigns?ref_src=twsrcpercent5Etfw”>@WWERomanReigns</a> is STILL your Undisputed WWE Common Champion at <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/WWECastle?src=hash&ref_src=twsrcpercent5Etfw”>#WWECastle</a> due to <a href=”https://twitter.com/WWESoloSikoa?ref_src=twsrcpercent5Etfw”>@WWESoloSIkoa</a>! <a href=”https://t.co/bdSdwozYiq”>pic.twitter.com/bdSdwozYiq</a>
There was an comprehensible disappointment on the a part of the followers following McIntyre’s loss, however aside from his home-field benefit, he by no means felt just like the man to dethrone Reigns.
The Scot is over with followers and one of many hardest-working guys within the firm. That won’t change, and this was Reigns’ match to win as a result of propelling issues ahead with the addition of Sikoa to The Bloodline is an even bigger improvement than McIntyre successful the title.
So, the decision was controversial and sure aggravated some followers off who anticipated McIntyre to go away the UK together with his title, however for the long-term way forward for the corporate’s inventive plans, this was the precise name.
Reigns defeated McIntyre to retain
- The “Damaged Goals” video was improbable and informed your entire story of McIntyre’s profession in two minutes.
- The group’s love of the Scot was awe-inspiring. The pop was deafening, and the chants for him after the entrances and early on misplaced few decibels.
- Karrion Kross and Scarlett offered a distraction at ringside that allowed Reigns to sluggish the onslaught of his opponent and switch the tide.
- The Tribal Chief talked trash to the highest contender, permitting McIntyre to aim a comeback with a couple of chops. But it surely was short-lived.
- Reigns grabbed a mic and demanded Cardiff acknowledge him, solely to catch a nasty headbutt from McIntyre.
- The champ skilled doubt and frustration, together with his facial expressions reflecting somebody questioning what he wanted to do to place away his opponent.
- McIntyre speared Reigns via the barricade, utilizing one of many champion’s favourite spots in opposition to him. He recovered and delivered his personal Spear again within the ring for a dramatic two-count.
- The precise hand from Fury to Principle that denied him a Cash within the Financial institution cash-in was an awesome spot. It was completely executed and bought.