This voting is predicated upon their Junior Nationwide freestyle careers solely, and shouldn’t mirror their successes in Greco-Roman, nor how nicely they did in faculty and the worldwide ranges.
There was an enormous upset within the first spherical, as two-time Junior Nationals champion and three-time finalist Taylor LaMont of Utah gained the fan vote over No. 1 seed Oscar Wooden of Oregon, the one four-time Junior Nationals Greco-Roman champion in historical past.
Spherical of 32 outcomes
Taylor LaMont (UT) dec. Oscar Wooden (OR), 55%-45%
Sam Henson (MO) dec. Cody Sanderson (UT), 77%-23%
T.J. Hill (MO) dec. Dave Powell (IL), 86%-14%
Adam Coon (MI) dec. Josh McLay (MN), 91%-9%
Steve Knight (IA) dec. Cam Jones (UT), 56%-44%
Justin Ruiz (UT) dec. Jason Powell (OK), 67%-33%
Brent Metcalf (MI) dec. Matt Goldstein (IL), 95%-5%
Kendick Sanders (FL) dec. Anthony Cassioppi (IL), 70%-30%
Andre Metzger (MI) dec. Ridge Lovett (ID), 71%-29%
Pat Lynch (NJ) dec. Khris Whelan (IL), 74%-26%
Kenny Cox (OR) dec. Sam Shields-Colbray (OR), 72%-28%
Garrett Lowney (WI) dec. David Kjeldgaard (IA), 66%-34%
Brandon Paulson (MN) dec. Dan Knight (IA), 86%-14%
Sean Hage (GA) dec. Leo Bailey (OK), 62%-38%
Matt Nagel (MN) dec. Bobby Janisse (OR), 72%-28%
Dennis Corridor (WI) dec. Mitchell McKee (MN), 82%-18%
This units up a aggressive spherical of 16, with voting beginning right this moment (June 27) and working for the 4 days.
Spherical of 16 pairings, with variety of Junior Nationwide freestyle titles
Taylor LaMont (UT, 2x) vs. Sam Henson (MO, 2x)
T.J. Hill (MO, 3x) vs. Adam Coon (MI, 3x)
Steve Knight (IA, 2x) vs. Justin Ruiz (UT, 2x)
Brent Metcalf (MI, 3x) vs. Kendick Sanders (FL, 3x)
Andre Metzger (MI, 3x) vs. Pat Lynch (NJ, 2x)
Kenny Cox (OR, 3x) vs. Garrett Lowney (WI, 2x)
Brandon Paulson (MN, 2x) vs. Sean Hage (GA, 3x)
Matt Nagel (MN, 3x) vs. Dennis Corridor (WI, 3x)
Notes after the primary spherical
• Michigan has probably the most Greco-Roman wrestlers within the spherical of 16, with Adam Coon, Brent Metcalf and Andre Metzger. All three of the Michigan wrestlers nonetheless alive had been three-time Junior Greco-Roman champions. (All of them additionally gained freestyle Junior titles).
• Three states have two wrestlers advance: Missouri (Sam Henson and T.J. Hill), Wisconsin (Garrett Lowney and Dennis Corridor) and Minnesota (Brandon Paulson and Matt Nagel).
• Three of the second spherical matches embody a pair of three-time champions.
– T.J. Hill (MO, 3x) vs. Adam Coon (MI, 3x)
– Brent Metcalf (MI, 3x) vs. Kendick Sanders (FL, 3x)
– Matt Nagel (MN, 3x) vs. Dennis Corridor (WI, 3x)
• The College of Minnesota is the one faculty that has a number of athletes within the spherical of 16, with three: Brandon Paulson, Garrett Lowney and Matt Nagel.
• The one six-time Junior Nationwide champions, Sean Hage (GA) and Brent Metcalf (MI) are nonetheless alive in Greco-Roman bracket. Each gained three Junior Nationwide titles in Greco-Roman and three in freestyle.
Listed here are the spherical two wrestlers in alphabetical order, with their state affiliation and the years they gained Junior Greco-Roman nationwide titles.
Adam Coon, Michigan (2011, 2012, 2013)
Kenny Cox, Oregon (1994, 1995, 1996)
Dennis Corridor, Wisconsin (1987, 1988, 1989)
Sean Hage, Georgia (1993, 1994, 1995)
Sam Henson, Missouri (1987, 1988)
T.J. Hill, Missouri (1995, 1996, 1997)
Steve Knight, Iowa (1981, 1982)
Taylor LaMont, Utah (2014, 2016)
Garrett Lowney, Wisconsin (1997, 1998)
Pat Lynch, New Jersey (1990, 1991)
Brent Metcalf, Michigan (2003, 2004, 2005)
Andre Metzger, Michigan (1976, 1977, 1978)
Matt Nagel, Minnesota (1999, 2000, 2001)
Brandon Paulson, Minnesota (1989, 1992)
Justin Ruiz, Utah (1997. 1998)
Kendrick Sanders, Florida (2007, 2008, 2009)
The remainder of the voting schedule follows:
• Voting on the Spherical of 16 will start on Monday, June 27
• Voting on the Quarterfinals will start on Friday, July 1
• Voting on the Semifinals will start on Tuesday, July 5
• Voting on the Finals will start on Saturday, July 9
The primary USA Wrestling Junior Nationals was held within the Fieldhouse on the College of Iowa in 1971, and contested solely in males’s freestyle. Greco-Roman was added in 1972. With the 2020 occasion cancelled because of the pandemic, this yr’s model would be the fiftieth time our nation’s finest highschool Greco-Roman wrestlers have come collectively to battle for nationwide titles and All-American honors. Quite a few World and Olympic champions and medalists have competed on this prestigious occasion.
The 2022 USA Wrestling USMC Junior and 16U Nationwide Championships shall be held on the FargoDome in Fargo, N.D., July 16-22, with competitors in males’s freestyle, Greco-Roman and ladies’s freestyle.
HOW TO VOTE
While you click on, you will note the bracket. To vote, click on the “Solid Vote Now” button on the highest of the bracket. You’ll be taken to a display the place you see every pairing and you may click on a field to vote on the winner. It’s essential to enter your electronic mail to vote.