Sunday, October 2, 2022

Latest Posts

Nate Diaz says UFC is ‘holding me hostage’ over contract

Nate Diaz is a prisoner behind the metallic chain-link partitions of the UFC octagon, so he says.

The 37-year-old claims he’s ready to sq. off in opposition to any fighter so as to fulfill his present contract and department out into different sectors of fight sports activities. Nevertheless, each time Diaz has requested a combat from the UFC, he’s been introduced with a brand new contract extension by the group, which he’d wish to momentarily step away from.

“I used to be making an attempt to get this s–t on the highway, however they don’t need me out of contract and so they’re protecting me in there and so they’re holding me hostage,” Diaz mentioned on “The MMA Hour” with Ariel Helwani. “And I would like out. That’s my essential goal right here.”

Diaz said he solely has one combat remaining on his present contract following his final bout in opposition to Leon Edwards at UFC 263 in June 2021, which he misplaced. Since then, the one combat he’s been provided is in opposition to Khamzat Chimaev at UFC 276 – a match that Diaz claims the welterweight star shut down. Diaz has moreover requested to tackle Vicente Luque and Tony Ferguson amongst others, however has obtained little phrase again.

Diaz's last fight came  against Leon Edwards at UFC 263 in June 2021, in which he lost.
Diaz’s final combat got here in opposition to Leon Edwards at UFC 263 in June 2021, during which he misplaced.
Getty

Diaz believes his solely manner out of the UFC is by partaking within the promotion firm’s desired headliner – a trilogy combat between him and longtime rival Conor McGregor, who’s presently recovering from a damaged leg he sustained at UFC 264. For the southpaw welterweight, it’s one of many few bouts he’s not keen to take.

“They don’t need to let me out of my contract,” Diaz mentioned. “They need me to combat Conor. I’m not preventing Conor McGregor proper now. Our timelines aren’t matching up. … You deliver your self again to life, and I’ll be again later.”

The UFC didn’t instantly return a request for remark.

Jake Paul, Dustin Poirier and Kevin Holland have publicly known as out Diaz, who expressed his willingness to face off in opposition to all of them. Paul is maybe essentially the most intriguing challenger, because the youtuber-turned-boxer provided to combat Diaz without cost within the UFC as long as the deal included an elevated minimal payout and long-term healthcare advantages for UFC rivals.

Whereas Diaz acknowledged the unlikelihood of a faceoff versus Paul materializing, he added “s–t, if it will get me out of my contract, let’s do that s–t.”

“I’m serious about every part,” Diaz mentioned. “I’m serious about exercise. If he’s going to be the primary one to step up, I’ll combat him, I’ll combat all people. Anybody who needs to combat, I’ll combat that’s really speaking some s–t like Jake Paul.”

For now, Diaz’s desires of making an attempt his hand in boxing, jiu-jitsu and combat promotion stay simply that. Not even elevated prize cash may sway his want to briefly depart the UFC.

“I don’t need no more cash,” Diaz mentioned. “I need to go do totally different stuff. I went in there and talked to them, and it’s with all due respect. … I’d simply re-sign afterward, however I want out.”

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.