One factor is for certain: Jiri Prochazka earned his standing as UFC champion.
The 29-year-old mild heavyweight submitted Glover Teixeira with 28 seconds left within the fifth spherical of their thrilling championship bout Saturday at UFC 275. Prochazka (29-3-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) sunk in a rear-naked choke on Teixeira (33-8 MMA, 16-6 UFC) to get what appeared like an inconceivable faucet.
Prochazka remained unbeaten within the UFC and topped himself mild heavyweight champion after simply three fights with the promotion. The bout in opposition to Teixeira was a dramatic, all-out struggle that had many ups and downs for each fighters.
Within the first two rounds, Prochazka had success on the toes and seemed to be the sooner and extra explosive fighter. Nonetheless, that will solely work in his favor early within the rounds as Teixeira finally closed the gap and took the struggle to the bottom utilizing his single-leg takedowns. Teixeira was relentless along with his ground-and-pound and prime management.
The third spherical began very equally to the primary and second. Prochazka was in a position to shine extra. He was touchdown the higher pictures and hurting Teixeira with pace. However once more, two minutes in, Teixeira acquired a takedown, however this time Prochazka was in a position to stand up and resume carnage on the toes. Teixeira seemed to shut the gap and discover a takedown however was not efficient.
On a failed takedown, Prochazka acquired prime place and commenced to put on on Teixeira with fixed ground-and-pound. Prochazka tried a submission simply to get reversed and find yourself on backside. Teixeira made the a lot of the 30 seconds and punished Prochazka with pictures, but it surely was clear Prochazka had achieved a lot of the injury that spherical.
Within the fourth, Teixeira clipped Prochazka with a left early and acquired a takedown. The Brazilian acquired the mount and dropped heavy pictures on Prochazka. He seemed to submit Prochazka with an arm-triangle however was unsuccessful in his first try. He was reversed and located himself on backside. From there, Prochazka stayed on prime till the bell.
Within the closing spherical, Teixeira linked along with his cleanest shot of the struggle. He wobbled Prochazka with a mixture however tried to go for a guillotine choke that failed as a substitute of following up with extra strikes. Teixeira ended up on backside however finally labored his manner again to his toes. It appeared that Teixeira acquired a second wind as he appeared the brisker fighter. He was connecting exhausting on Prochazka, however then the momentum appeared to alter utterly.
Teixeira acquired a takedown and continued to batter Prochazka on the bottom. With a minute left, Prochazka pushed off the cage, reversed the place, and acquired Teixeira’s again. With out hooks, Prochazka sunk in a rear-naked choke and squeezed till he acquired the faucet. It was an unbelievable finish to probably the greatest mild heavyweight championship fights in current reminiscence.
With this consequence, Prochazka prolonged his successful streak to 13 in a row. The Czech fighter final tasted defeat again in 2016 when he was knocked out by former Strikeforce champion Muhammed Lawal.
However, Teixeira noticed his six-fight successful streak come to an finish. The Brazilian hasn’t misplaced since arising brief in a call in opposition to Corey Anderson again in July 2018. Teixeira was the oldest champion within the UFC at 42 years of age.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 275 outcomes embody:
- Jiri Prochazka def. Glover Teixeira through submission (rear-naked choke) – Spherical 5, 4:32 – to win mild heavyweight title
- Valentina Shevchenko def. Taila Santos via split decision (48-47, 47-48, 49-46) – to defend women’s flyweight title
- Zhang Weili def. Joanna Jedrzejczyk via knockout (spinning backfist) – Round 2, 2:28
- Jake Matthews def. Andre Fialho via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 2:24
- Jack Della Maddalena def. Ramazan Emeev through TKO (punches) – Spherical 1, 2:32
- Josh Culibao def. Seungwoo Choi through cut up resolution (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Hayisaer Maheshate def. Steve Garcia through knockout (punch) – Spherical 1, 1:14
- Brendan Allen def. Jacob Malkoun through unanimous resolution (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Kyung Ho Kang def. Danaa Batgerel through unanimous resolution (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Silvana Gomez Juarez def. Na Liang through knockout (punches) – Spherical 1, 1:22
- Joselyne Edwards def. Ramona Pascual through unanimous resolution (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)