LAS VEGAS – Regardless of a late shuffle in opponents, Daniel Rodriguez put collectively a stable putting efficiency to get his hand raised.
Rodriguez (16-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) entered combat week making ready for a catchweight contest in opposition to Kevin Holland, whereas his substitute, Li Jingliang anticipated a welterweight combat in opposition to Tony Ferguson. Regardless of understanding the scale distinction, Jingliang (19-7 MMA, 11-5 UFC) accepted the matchup, and the 180-pound catchweight bout grew to become a part of the UFC 279 essential card at T-Cell Enviornment in Las Vegas.
The scale distinction between the 2 fighters was obvious from the onset. Within the first spherical, Rodriguez managed the tempo of the motion early, urgent ahead as he landed punches. Jingliang answered again properly with a pleasant array of kicks, choosing his pictures properly as he circled on the surface.
The motion continued at a quick tempo within the second spherical, as Jingliang appeared extra snug staying nearer to the pocket buying and selling with Rodriguez. Each fighters combined in kicks to the legs as they seemed to land energy punches upstairs. The most effective shot of the spherical was a clear proper hand from Jingliang that acquired Rodriguez’s consideration.
The ultimate spherical noticed the shut putting battle proceed. Some followers within the enviornment booed, however each fighters had been energetic as they exchanged strikes. Rodriguez pressed ahead all through a lot of the spherical as Jingliang appeared to lose some steam within the closing moments.
The combat was shut, and the official scores mirrored that because the judges had been cut up with two 29-28 scorecards moving into Rodriguez’s favor.
— UFC (@ufc) September 11, 2022
Rodriguez retains his sizzling streak rolling along with his fourth victory in a row. “D-Rod” knocked off Mike Perry, Preston Parsons, and Kevin Lee earlier than choosing up the win over Jingliang on Saturday.
Jingliang has now traded wins and losses over his previous 5 outings.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 279 outcomes embrace:
- Daniel Rodriguez def. Li Jingliang through cut up determination (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Irene Aldana def. Macy Chiasson via TKO (body kick) – Round 3, 2:21
- Johnny Walker def. Ion Cutelaba via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:37
- Julian Erosa def. Hakeem Dawodu via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jailton Almeida def. Anton Turkalj via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:27
- Denis Tiuliulin def. Jamie Pickett via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:52
- Chris Barnett def. Jake Collier via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:24
- Norma Dumont def. Danyelle Wolf via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Heili Alateng def. Chad Anheliger via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Elise Reed def. Melissa Martinez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Yohan Lainesse def. Darian Weeks via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
For extra on the cardboard, go to MMA Junkie’s occasion hub for UFC 279.